Saturday, April 21, 2007

The "Rebel" of the Kennel!

"Pete" told the story of a beagle who was particularly unique from the other animals. This dog would get the same amount of abuse and neglect, but he still showed his captors that he had strong wills and, most importantly, a soul.



This dog would be drug by the neck whenever he was taken out of the cage, but instead of succumbing to the maltreatment, he made it hard for the workers to drag him by pushing his feet into the ground and resisting the whole time he was forcibly moved. For this reason, he was secretly named "Rebel."



Here is "Pete's" testimony about "Rebel.":

"There was one dog at the kennel that stood out to me. He was a small, brown beagle who barked anytime someone walked by his pen. The other animals ignored me, but he would run up and bite my rubber boots and gloves. Many of the dogs, including this beagle, were often dragged around the facilities by their necks. This dog, however, would set his feet in the ground and slide the whole way, resisting everything the workers tried to do to him. Because of this, I secretly named him “Rebel.”
One day, Rebel was moved to the inside kennel, a space designed to hold 50 dogs at a time, to collect a feces sample for worms testing. It was evident that Rebel had developed a tapeworm, but the feces samples became disorganized, and as a result, all of the dogs in the inside kennel remained in their three by six-foot concrete pens with chain link walls for 10 days longer to re-collect their feces.In his new surroundings, Rebel became bored and frightened. He was only able to lie on the cold, wet concrete all day. These elements, combined with the symptoms of his tapeworm, eventually destroyed him. He stopped barking at me or biting at my boots and, instead, cowered in the corner of his pen shivering. Rebel was later moved to the outside pen, where I found him dead on Saturday morning, February 3, 2002.I watched a lot of dogs die in that kennel, but Rebel’s death hit me hard. Was it better or worse than death in a vivisection lab? I could only guess, but do nothing about it. I noted his USDA tag number (#35330) and dumped him in a pile of other dead dogs in the kennel yard. I never named another dog at the kennel again.”

-“Pete”

Source: http://www.lcanimal.org/cmpgn/cmpgn_dog_rebel_georgia.htm

No comments: